Two years after a cancer diagnosis that brought intense global attention, the Princess of Wales is charting a new course — and her first words after completing a solo international trip signal the direction she’s heading.
Following her two-day visit to Italy this month, Catherine posed a simple question to her staff: “Where next?” The query came after she traveled to Florence and Reggio Emilia to study innovative approaches to early childhood education, marking her first solo overseas engagement since finishing cancer treatment.
In January 2025, the 44-year-old princess confirmed she was in remission and focused on recovery. Her Italian journey, centered on examining the Reggio Emilia Approach to children’s learning, demonstrated both her expanding public presence and her commitment to the causes that have defined her work.
The Diagnosis That Changed Everything
Catherine’s health crisis began quietly. Her last public appearance before everything changed was at the Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Sandringham in December 2023. The following month, Kensington Palace disclosed she had undergone planned abdominal surgery at the London Clinic, where she stayed for 13 days.
What followed were weeks of rumors and online speculation. William withdrew from a memorial service in February 2024, a move later tied to his wife’s diagnosis. On March 22, 2024, Catherine ended the uncertainty herself with a video that marked the first time a senior British royal had spoken so openly about battling cancer.
“In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London, and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present. My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of that treatment,” she said in the video, which also detailed how she and William had prepared Prince George, 11, Princess Charlotte, 10, and Prince Louis, 7, for the journey ahead.
The palace has never revealed what type of cancer the princess faced. Her diagnosis came during a challenging period for the royal family, as King Charles III and Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, were also dealing with their own cancer battles.
Recovery’s Uncertain Path
By September 2024, Catherine announced she had finished adjuvant chemotherapy and described herself as “cancer free.” But she has been frank about the challenges that followed treatment, calling the experience “a roller coaster” and acknowledging she can no longer function at home as she once did.
During a hospital visit in southeastern England in July 2025, the princess told patients the period after treatment was “really, really difficult.” She explained that while people maintain a brave face during chemotherapy, the aftermath brings a more complex reality as they search for a new normal.
Catherine made selective public appearances throughout her treatment, including returning to Trooping the Colour in June 2024. Her gradual re-emergence reflected what aides and observers describe as a carefully paced approach to resuming her duties.
Small Changes, Big Shifts
Even minor lifestyle adjustments reveal how the diagnosis reshaped her daily life. During a March 13, 2025, visit to Fabal Beerhall on the Bermondsey Beer Mile in east London, owner Hannah Rhodes offered Catherine a tasting. The princess declined, choosing a soft drink instead. “Since my diagnosis, I haven’t had much alcohol,” she told Rhodes, noting she now has to be more conscious of her intake.
NHS cancer services commonly advise reducing alcohol intake during treatment, though recommendations vary by individual case. At a later visit to the Royal Marsden Hospital, Catherine emphasized maintaining a positive mindset, a message she said others who faced the disease had repeatedly shared with her.
A Focus on What Matters Most
The Italian trip was not ceremonial pageantry. Catherine has built her public work around early childhood development, and the Reggio Emilia method — which emphasizes creativity, relationships, and child-led learning — fits with what aides say is her deepening concern about declining human connection in an increasingly digital world. She reportedly believes this concern “has become one of the defining challenges of our time.”
Her determination to protect human connection is expected to guide future international travel, with the princess expressing interest in studying how other nations approach the earliest years of childhood. Photographs of Catherine waving as she arrived at the Reggio Emilia town hall offered a sharp contrast to the intensely private months that followed her 2024 diagnosis.
Royal observers are calling her return to global engagements a significant milestone in her recovery, the strongest indication yet that she is ready to expand her work beyond Britain’s borders after a methodical return to public life. Two years after a diagnosis that stunned the world, the Princess of Wales has moved from surviving treatment to actively shaping what comes next — on her own terms, at her own pace.

