A two-state search operation involving emergency crews, K9 teams and aerial drones came to a tragic conclusion on May 11, 2026, when the body of Dalton G. Malmstrom was recovered from the Susquehanna River in Tioga County.
The 18-year-old from Nichols had been missing since the morning of May 9, when he left his family’s home following a dispute. His body was found by the State Police Underwater Recovery Team working alongside K9 units, bringing an end to a massive search effort that had mobilized resources from New York and Pennsylvania.
Authorities have not released any information about what caused his death.
What Happened on May 9
Malmstrom walked out of his home on the 2100 block of East River Road around 7:45 a.m. on May 9 after an argument with family members, investigators said. His relatives reported to troopers that he was “not acting like himself” before leaving, and they filed a missing person report that same day.
He was last seen wearing a dark-colored shirt. The teen stood 5-foot-10 and had dark hair. His home sits near the Susquehanna River in an area of the Southern Tier roughly halfway between Binghamton and Elmira, just north of the Pennsylvania border.
That proximity to the state line quickly transformed the search into a cross-border operation. Emergency responders and volunteers from both states descended on the river corridor within hours, launching what became a large-scale, multi-jurisdictional effort.
Two Days of Searching Across Two States
The Susquehanna River, one of the longest waterways on the East Coast, presented significant challenges to search teams. The section flowing through Nichols is flanked by steep banks, dense vegetation and farmland, making both ground and water operations difficult.
Crews deployed ground teams, K9 units and aerial drones across the terrain as the search stretched into May 11. Volunteers from both New York and Pennsylvania remained active in the area throughout the operation, officials said.
On the afternoon of May 11, the underwater recovery team found Malmstrom’s body in the river. New York State Police confirmed the discovery but have not disclosed the specific location along the waterway or detailed his movements after he left home.
A School Community in Mourning
Malmstrom, who graduated from Owego Free Academy in 2025, remained deeply connected to the school district where his relatives and friends still attend classes. The Owego Apalachin Central School District activated its crisis intervention plan immediately after his death was confirmed, deploying counselors to help students, staff and families cope with the loss.
“Our hearts are with the Malmstrom family during this unimaginably difficult time,” district officials said in a statement, adding that “Dalton remains a well-known member of the OACSD community, with relatives and friends currently enrolled at Owego Free Academy.”
The district said support services would remain in place throughout the week, emphasizing that its priority is “ensuring that our students have the emotional support and resources they need to navigate the complex feelings that arise.”
Questions Remain as Investigation Continues
Investigators have not described the death as suspicious, though they also have not ruled out any possibilities. Officials have declined to say whether surveillance footage, witness statements or physical evidence helped narrow the search area or shed light on Malmstrom’s path from his residence to the river.
The family argument and their concerns about his behavior before he left have emerged as key elements of the case. However, authorities have not publicly connected those circumstances to any particular explanation for how he ended up in the Susquehanna.
The investigation remains active. State Police are asking anyone with information about Malmstrom’s activities or whereabouts on the morning of May 9, or any details that might clarify what happened between his departure and his death, to contact them. The New York State Police can be reached at 607-561-7400.
Nichols, a riverside town with fewer than 2,500 residents, has been deeply affected by the tragedy. Many who participated in the volunteer search were neighbors, former classmates and family friends who had hoped the extensive effort would result in finding the teen alive.
The family has not yet announced funeral arrangements. A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to assist with burial costs and everyday expenses, with organizers seeking to raise $20,000 to provide relief for costs they say the family never anticipated.

