6 Dead After Poisoning From Contaminated Alcoholic Drinks

- Advertisement -

The father of one of six young tourists who died after drinking tainted alcohol in Laos has called the outcome of criminal proceedings “absolutely disgraceful” after hostel workers received fines equivalent to just AUD$185 for destroying evidence.

Mark Jones, whose 19-year-old daughter Bianca died alongside her best friend Holly Bowles in November 2024, condemned the token penalties handed down by Vang Vieng District Court in late January 2026. “To think that the Laos’ authorities believe that those who were involved in killing our daughters is worth AUD$185 is absolutely disgraceful,” Jones said, branding the fines an insult.

Ten employees of the Nana Backpacker Hostel were convicted behind closed doors, not of murder or manslaughter, but of destroying evidence. Each received a £95 fine and a suspended sentence. At least two employees are believed to have already fled to Vietnam, and those still in Laos can apply for exit visas after a 20-day appeal period.

A Backpacker Town’s Toxic Underside

The tragedy unfolded on November 12, 2024, in the riverside town of Vang Vieng when six young travelers died after a night out. The deceased included Australian best friends Bianca Jones and Holly Bowles, both 19, British lawyer Simone White, 28, and three other foreign nationals. All had been staying at the Nana Backpacker Hostel, where the manager had offered free shots of alcohol to more than 100 guests.

Vang Vieng, a town tucked into the karst landscape of northern Laos, was once notorious for alcohol- and drug-fueled jungle parties along the Nam Song river. After a deadly run of tourist deaths, the government cracked down in 2012 and the town rebranded itself as an eco-tourism destination. The methanol deaths have shattered that carefully cultivated image.

Methanol — a toxic alcohol sometimes added to spirits to boost potency or cut costs — can cause blindness, liver damage and death. Both UK and Australian authorities have long warned travelers about the risk of methanol-laced drinks in Southeast Asia, and similar warnings intensified following the November tragedy.

Eight Staff Detained, Then a Secret Trial

Local police arrested eight employees of the Nana Backpacker Hostel — all Vietnamese nationals aged between 23 and 44 — alongside the 34-year-old manager, Duong Duc Toan, and bartender Toan Van Vanng. Both men denied that methanol had been added to any drinks, insisting the alcohol had been purchased from a licensed seller. According to reports at the time, the manager went so far as to take a shot of the hostel’s liquor in front of police to prove its safety.

The hostel, whose owners denied serving illicit alcohol, was shuttered in the days that followed. It has since reopened under a different name.

What followed was a slow-moving and opaque investigation in a communist state that tightly controls its media. Laotian authorities did not issue a public statement until more than a week after the first death. When the official Lao News Agency finally addressed the scandal, it pointed only to “the consumption of tainted alcoholic beverages,” offering no explanation of how the poison entered the supply chain.

Authorities have indicated that no further action will be taken in relation to the deaths of Holly and Bianca. Only one man from the distillery where the spirits were produced could face additional legal action.

Parents Learned of Verdict From Other Victims

For Shaun Bowles and Mark Jones, the fathers of Holly and Bianca, the manner in which the ruling came to light has compounded the grief. They learned of the verdict not from Australian officials but from other victims’ families in the United Kingdom and Denmark, including Simone White’s mother, Sue White.

The fathers, who returned with their daughters’ bodies to Melbourne airport on November 26, 2024, said they have exhausted their options. Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong said she had been in contact with the families as recently as February 5, 2026, and had raised the matter directly with her Lao counterpart.

Wong said she has made clear to Laotian officials that Australia expects full accountability and that charges should reflect the seriousness of the tragedy which left six people dead, including Holly and Bianca.

With little information emerging from Lao authorities, fellow travelers conducted their own investigation. One survey of those who fell ill, shared with international media, found many respondents had gotten sick after drinking at multiple bars or hostels around town — suggesting the contamination may have extended far beyond a single venue. A third Australian who fell ill was reported to be recovering in stable condition in the days following the deaths.

On November 23, 2024, the Lao government expressed “sincere sympathy and deepest condolences” to the families. For the parents now facing milestones their daughters will never reach, the words ring hollow.

“The best word to describe it is disappointment,” Bowles told reporters.

Latest News

13 Shot Dead in Massacre

Gunmen stormed a predominantly Christian community in Nigeria's Plateau State on a Sunday evening in late March 2026, opening...

More Articles Like This