67 Dead As Thousands Rush Through Border

- Advertisement -

The death toll from a massive cross-border migration surge into Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta has climbed to 72, officials confirmed, as European leaders gathered for emergency talks and Madrid installed a floating sea barrier to halt further arrivals.

Spain on Saturday erected a 500-meter-long (1,600-foot) floating barrier along its maritime boundary with Morocco, while the European Union scheduled an emergency video conference of interior ministers for Tuesday to address the crisis. Between 3,000 and 5,000 migrants remained in Ceuta as of Monday, with roughly 69,500 having returned to Morocco over the past four days—a figure surpassing initial estimates of how many had crossed.

The Spanish government confirmed Friday evening local time that at least 67 people had perished on Friday, July 31, 2026, during a chaotic 24-hour period when approximately 60,000 migrants poured into the tiny territory from Morocco by land and sea. Juan Jesús Vivas, the regional president of Ceuta, said the influx represented roughly 70% of the city’s normal population, marking one of Europe’s largest single-day migration events in recent years.

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen sent a letter dated August 3rd to Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, stating more must be done to strengthen EU borders and offering enhanced support. Of the total fatalities, 11 deaths occurred on the Moroccan side of the border.

Chaos Overwhelms Small Enclave

The deluge began Thursday and reached a crescendo Friday, leaving thousands sleeping in parks and wandering city streets. According to Rachid Sbihi, who leads a union representing Civil Guard workers in Ceuta, the scene constituted a grave humanitarian emergency, with children traveling alone among the crowds and military reinforcements focusing solely on treating casualties and delivering emergency aid.

Many victims drowned attempting the roughly 5-kilometer swim from the Moroccan town of Fnideq around a border barrier extending into the Mediterranean Sea, Sbihi said. Others perished in a stampede on the sandy shoreline of Tarajal, a developed coastal area adjacent to a Morocco crossing point, as masses rushed the breakwater fence. By Friday morning, buoys, shoes and personal belongings littered the waters near the frontier.

Ahmed Karim, a 33-year-old Moroccan who made the crossing due to unemployment in Morocco, stated that countless individuals aspire to reach the United States or European countries though few succeed. Some migrants also attempted shorter crossings from the nearby town of Belyounech.

Vivas earlier Friday had reported 34 deaths without providing details on causes, calling the situation “absolutely unsustainable.” Prime Minister Sánchez visited the enclave Friday and announced Madrid would commit every asset at its disposal to handle the emergency.

Clashes and Violence at the Border

Moroccan police deployed water cannons, fired warning shots into the air and positioned additional officers to stem the flow, according to rights groups. At gates leading into Ceuta, authorities used water cannon trucks to force people back. Charred remains of a bus and seven cars testified to violent confrontations with the crowds.

Video footage from Thursday, July 30, showed large crowds—predominantly Moroccan nationals—navigating breakwater structures to reach local streets. Most appeared to be young men, though families with women and young children were also visible. Live footage Friday captured hundreds of migrants on elevated terrain above the city being scattered by Moroccan security forces firing tear gas, while other individuals swam toward Spanish soil.

According to Spain’s Interior Ministry, approximately 25,000 individuals had been sent back to Morocco from Ceuta by early Friday afternoon, a number that climbed above 48,000 by early evening. Human rights advocate Achraf Maimouni from Fnideq reported that migrants continued attempting water crossings despite intensified law enforcement activity. Large groups simultaneously walked back from Ceuta toward Morocco to return home.

Legal Ruling and European Backlash

Local officials in Ceuta attributed the migration wave to a recent Spanish Supreme Court decision from early in the month that prevents authorities from sending back sea arrivals immediately without proper legal procedures. The ruling does not apply to land entries or fence-climbers. Sánchez said trafficking mafias had exploited a self-serving interpretation of the decision that spread rapidly, though human rights workers in Morocco questioned whether the court decision caused the surge, noting that most crossers likely had no knowledge of judicial proceedings.

Spanish ambassador Karima Benyaich from Morocco described the events as challenging and stressed they occurred contrary to Rabat’s intentions, emphasizing Morocco’s longstanding commitment to regulated and lawful migration. The two Spanish enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla represent the only terrestrial boundaries between the EU and the African continent.

Von der Leyen called the images from Ceuta “unacceptable” and demanded that dangerous crossings stop and smuggling networks be dismantled. France tightened checks along its border with Spain, with Interior Minister Laurent Nunez activating a rapid intervention force for in-depth inspections. German Chancellor Friedrich Merz welcomed Spain’s intent to keep undocumented migrants off the European mainland, while France said it stood ready to assist, including through Frontex.

Germany, Italy and Finland criticized Madrid’s handling, and Italy and Denmark called for Spain’s barring from the Schengen area. French far-right leader Marine Le Pen accused the Spanish government of encouraging the crossings.

Latest News

Barack Obama’s Surprise Endorsement Rocks Political World

A Democratic candidate hoping to claim an Iowa Senate seat received a high-profile boost when former President Barack Obama...

More Articles Like This