65 Dead, Dozens Still Missing After Ferry Disaster

- Advertisement -

Authorities in Guyana have confirmed 65 fatalities following the sinking of a passenger ferry on the night of July 18, 2026, while approximately 50 individuals remain missing as rescue operations enter their fifth day. Prime Minister Mark Phillips disclosed on July 22 that 76 survivors had been pulled from the ocean, though he estimated the total death toll could reach around 100.

The MV Barima was carrying 179 people when it went down, according to Phillips—a figure significantly higher than the vessel’s manifest indicated. Official documents showed only 116 passengers and 17 crew members on board, creating a major focus for investigators examining the catastrophe’s causes.

Rescue teams deployed 19 vessels and three aircraft by July 23, with diving specialists arriving from Brazil and Trinidad and Tobago to assist French and Guyanese crews. Private boat owners played a crucial role, rescuing at least 17 people from the water. The death count rose from 41 to 53 on July 21, then climbed to 65 the following day.

Investigation Focuses on Crew Conduct and Overcrowding

Law enforcement detained the captain and at least one other crew member after marijuana tests came back positive. Public Works Minister Juan Edghill expressed fury during a July 19 news conference upon learning that two crew members had tested positive for cannabis, emphasizing the government’s strict prohibition against operating vessels while impaired. He singled out the captain’s positive result as especially troubling.

Phillips warned that “where negligence, misconduct or criminal wrongdoing is established, those responsible will face the full force of the law.”

The mismatch between the documented passenger count and actual occupancy has emerged as a key investigative thread. Authorities are examining whether the incomplete passenger list and suspected substance use among crew contributed to what Edghill described as the nation’s worst maritime tragedy in recent memory.

Route and Vessel Details

The ferry departed Georgetown, Guyana’s capital, Saturday afternoon bound for Port Kaituma, a gold mining settlement located in the inland Essequibo region. Vessels on this route typically travel into the ocean before turning into a river system leading to Port Kaituma, which lies within thick rainforest in the country’s northern interior.

According to the shipping database VesselFinder, the 40-meter (131-foot) ferry was constructed in 1939, making it 87 years old when it capsized. A distress signal was received at 11:01 p.m. on July 18 (3:01 a.m. GMT the following day), triggering a combined response from government agencies and private vessels.

French Guiana, a neighboring territory, dispatched support including 12 divers, two doctors and a mechanic. At least 15 children were among those rescued, officials said.

Witness Describes Chaos at Sea

Survivor Elena Moonsammy recounted to Kiskadee Watch, a local news outlet, that a large wave struck the vessel, causing it to tilt sharply. Water poured in within seconds, she said.

Moonsammy described clinging to a box floating in the debris field to stay above water. She had been holding her 2-year-old child’s hand but lost grip during the turmoil. Despite the separation, she managed to help another woman survive by encouraging her to grasp the same floating box.

The ferry was traveling toward the Essequibo region, territory at the heart of a prolonged dispute between Guyana and Venezuela over oil-rich land. The small English-speaking nation on South America’s northeastern edge has faced repeated challenges from its larger neighbor regarding Essequibo’s sovereignty.

With 65 deaths confirmed and 76 people rescued from a total of 179 believed aboard, dozens remain unaccounted for. As search efforts continue off Guyana’s coast, family members and friends wait anxiously for news, though hope of finding additional survivors diminishes with each passing day.

Latest News

Prince Harry Comments on King Charles’ Health Crisis

During a New York City gala on July 16, Prince Harry provided a concise assessment of King Charles' condition,...

More Articles Like This